Monday, August 18, 2008

He Knows My Name-And Yours Too!

Tonight in choir we sang a song called "He Knows My Name."

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in His hands

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He knows each tear that falls
And hears me when I call

Inevitably this song always brings tears to my eyes. And while I love music, there are very few songs that do this. I got to wondering what it was that moved me so much.

I struggle a lot with self-doubt. It is very easy for the enemy to convince me that I am not worth anything to anyone. He tries to convince me that no one will want to be my friend, or will love me. He knows exactly the right way and the right situation to whisper these lies in my ear, knowing that they will quickly spiral me into depression. I become convinced that I really am worthless, that people would rather be friends with someone other than me, and that I might as well retreat into myself.

This past year, God brought some wise people into my life who showed me, as one sweet friend would say, that these thoughts "are not of the Lord!" They encouraged me to seek truth, with a capital T. Knowing that God's word is the sword of truth, I began to seek out verses I could use to fend of the enemy's barbs, before they penetrated my heart and mind.

Psalm 8:3-5
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor.

Matthew 10:29-31
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid: you are worth more than many sparrows.

Jeremiah 1:5
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart . . ."

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

So as I sang tonight, I realized that this praise song encompasses many of the verses I hold dear. And that any time I begin to believe that I am worthless, I can remember that I am more valuable than anything on earth, because God loved me enough to send His Son to die for me.

Tonight, they were not tears of sorrow, but tears of hope and joy. I am a precious creation and I am worth it because God loves me!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

So beautifully said, Katie. That is Truth that truly sets us free. I feel so privileged to count you as my dear friend.

M & M said...

thank you for the verses as a foundation for that Truth!

It was wonderful to have that same Godly friend come equipped with her humor and wisdom to visit us last night! Thanks!

Lindsay said...

Such a great post with so much truth! Of course I had a hard time believing someone as talented and wonderful as you would ever feel this way! I love your honesty! Thanks for the encouragement. I love that song, too.