I left my daughter yesterday after a two-week stay with her, my son-in-law and their brand new baby boy. I wasn’t prepared for the toll my leaving would take on my heart. We have always been close, and watching my daughter fall in love with her new son conjured up the same feelings I experienced when I brought her home from the hospital 28 years ago. A new bond was fashioned between us, generated by our mutual feelings of being head over heels in love with our firstborn.
We both cried. I tried to be big as she clung to me because I recognized her fear. It was the same fear I had struggled with as a new mom, and I knew she needed all the encouragement my shaky voice could muster. I told her she would be fine and that her confidence would grow as she got in there and did the hard yet glorious work of mothering.
As I drove off, I prayed over my daughter’s little family. And the Lord gently prodded me with a new thought.
I am His and He loves me with a love that is more fierce, protective and perfect than any mother on earth has ever experienced. He has equipped me with everything I need to get on with the work He has called me to. My fear gets in the way of stepping out sometimes because my confidence is in myself rather than Him, and I’m no dummy. I know I don’t have what it takes.
But He does. And because I am His, the same power He used to raise Jesus from the grave is available to me in Christ!
My prayer for all of us:
I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the glorious riches of His inheritance among the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power to us who believe, according to the working of His vast strength. He demonstrated this power in the Messiah by raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand in the heavens-- far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion, and every title given, not only in this age but also in the one to come. (Ephesians 1:18-21)
In Him, we’re going to be just fine.

4 comments:
Cindy:
I love reading your posts to your young marrieds...blesses my heart so much! I have been praying for you as you once again allow your precious child to "grow up" a little more. It is never easy but oh so rewarding!
He is so precious and we are blessed by your posts each week. Please send me the link to her blog, I would love to see more photos of your sweet grandson!
I'm so glad you had precious time with your daughter. He is beautiful! We are so thankful to have you back. :)
Post a Comment