
Matthew 16:1-4
Our lesson bombed yesterday. Not sure why, but I’m sure it did. I haven’t yet figured out what makes some lessons fly while others just never get off the ground. Even after hours of preparation and prayer, I have learned there is no guarantee that, once I’ve walked out the door of our Sunday School class, anyone except me will have learned a thing.
So, I’d like to take another brief shot at making sense of our scripture.
Jesus was talking to the Pharisees and Sadducees. They had asked Him for “a sign from heaven” because, as Sean pointed out, they were determined to prove He was not who He said He was, and they had succeeded so far in convincing themselves that the miracles He had done were performed with powers from the devil.
Jesus chastised them. He pointed out that, even though they were quick to look for signs in the sky to determine weather predictions, they couldn’t see what was going on around them. In other words, they couldn’t see the Messiah even though He was staring them straight in the eyes.
Jesus said they had all the signs they needed from the prophet Jonah, whose deliverance stood as an illustration of the resurrected Christ. He was the Promised One, but they would not allow Him into their hearts.
There was a time in my life when I would have pointed to outward signs. I didn’t drink. I didn’t smoke. I barely cussed. And I had jumped into all kinds of church activity.
But I could have done all those things on my own. After all, a lot of people get smart enough to put an end to harmful behavior and plenty of people do a lot of good things for a lot of good reasons.
As I grew spiritually, I began to realize the true signs of the resurrected Christ in me were the behaviors that had resulted from a changed heart. When I decided to forgive someone who had hurt me. When a deeper understanding of God’s sovereignty made me less of a worrier. When a hunger for His Word caused me to carry my Bible to the beauty parlor because it was the only place I could find time to read. When going to movies became far less fun because the vulgarities in them assaulted my newfound sensitivity to evil.
The Pharisees were constantly trying to prove their righteousness with outward signs of religious behavior. But Jesus constantly rebuked them because true righteousness comes from a changed heart that produces right behavior.
What signs are you looking for?

1 comment:
Cindy, I for one do not think the lesson bombed. I don't have enough room here to convey how important and relevant I believe your lesson is to our world today and you did great job presenting it. The fact is that we live in a time when a large number of mainstream Christian preachers are feeding their congregations a lot of "spiritual junk food". So many are so consumed with looking for outward signs from God or manifestations of God to guide them that they have forgotten where it is which He told us to look for "signs" from Him...In His word. "If you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, And find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright."(Prov.2:4-7) Just like you pointed out, Cindy, how the Pharisees couldn't see the Messiah even though He was staring at them, some today can't see our Messiah even though they carry Him into church every Sunday under their arm. You know, if you were to pose a question to me and then ask me how April would answer it, I can promise you that I could answer correctly 99% of the time. Why? Because, I have spent years face to face with her and getting know her. I know my wife! I believe Jesus wants the same with all of us. If we knew Jesus as well as we know our spouses we would never have to look for a "sign" to tell us what we should do.Why? Because, we would have spent years face to face with Him in His word gettin to know Him. We would know Jesus!
Cindy, you continue to inspire me. Don't ever doubt what the Lord our God is so obviously doing through you. I know I speak for the whole class when I say "Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you!!!!"
Matt Landes
Post a Comment