Sunday, January 20, 2008

CLEAN...FROM THE INSIDE OUT




Matthew 15

Some things just don't matter. Like whether or not the pastor wears a tie. And some things do. Like whether or not I obey God's Word as it is written.

The things that matter are in the Bible. They were important enough for God to make sure they got written down. The things that don't matter are the "asteriks" (thanks, Nick) I add to scripture. Like my opinions. Or the excuses I make for not being obedient.

The Pharisees and scribes used the scriptures to try to make themselves look good and they used their own interpretations to twist and turn God's commands. Basically, they did their own thing and wrote their own rules. They scrubbed their hands but they did nothing about cleansing their hearts.

I want to be like the Canaanite woman, who knew she had absolutely no chance at "spiritual greatness," and that she had absolutely no hope apart from the mercy of Jesus Christ. Her nails may have been a bit grimy, but her heart was untainted.

The earth and everything in it, the world and its inhabitants, belong to the LORD; for He laid its foundation on the seas and established it on the rivers. Who may ascend the mountain of the LORD? Who may stand in His holy place? The one who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not set his mind on what is false, and who has not sworn deceitfully. Psa 24:1-4

No comments: