
When Mike and I moved with our daughter Lia to Houston three years ago, we came because we believed with all our hearts that God was sending us here. It was a difficult move, since we were leaving our home of 22 years, a married daughter and brand-new son-in-law, parents, friends, beloved ministries, and life as we knew it. We were also uprooting our 14-year-old daughter and bringing her to a place unlike anything we had ever experienced (Texas is NOT the Deep South!). We had no idea what God had in mind for us, but we had made up our minds to trust Him. For exactly one year I seemed to be in limbo as I spent my energies helping with Lia's transition and praying for the other members of my family. I studied my Bible and prayed for hours every day, but I had no idea what kind of ministry God wanted me to do here. I tried out various opportunities, but found it difficult to pour myself into anything. Then one day God met me on the pages of Deuteronomy. In my journal I wrote this:
Deuteronomy 1:6: "You have stayed at this mountain long enough."
The Israelites had camped out for a year at Sinai, where God gave them His commandments, dealt with their disobedience, met with Moses face to face, and allowed them to build a tabernacle of meeting. Now it was time to move on. God was calling them onward. He had allowed them to stay just long enough to show them and teach them all they needed for the journey ahead. But they had to get up and put their faith in action. I have been in Houston for a year now. I have experienced fear, wonder, anxiety, awe, and disappointment in measures that have threatened to overwhelm me. In the midst of hosting a wedding, a 50th wedding anniversary party and a graduation party, selling our home of 22 years, buying a new one in Houston, watching my daughter Alyssa struggle with her career and a move, crying through the heartwrenching months of Lia's loneliness, seeing Mike's back healed, and waiting for a godly friend, the Lord has held me, taught me, encouraged me, convicted me, and finally brought me to this place where He is saying to me, "you have stayed at this mountain long enough." But I am like the Israelites. I am hesitant to go forward. There are liable to be obstacles or even battles in my path. I know what THIS mountain looks like, but I don't have a clear picture of my future. And sometimes it's easier to sit in my comfort zone (even if it's not a pretty picture) than to go where I may have to step out and fail. Lord, don't let me fail like the Israelites did. They struck out on the path You set out for them, and they failed to trust You. You had it all planned out...a plan to bless them...and they depended on themselves rather than on You. I don't want to take a step, Lord, without fully trusting You. And I CAN trust You, because You are trustworthy. You will not fail to take care of me....You will keep my heels from wearing out and You will carry me like a father carries his child. I'm ready. I'm movin' out.
A couple of months later I was surprised by my own decision to contact the newly married minister at our church and volunteer to teach a class. He said he had a need for a teacher of young married couples with no children. Mike agreed to take the class on with me, and the rest (along with three new babies and six pregnancies) is history.
Yesterday, when I arrived home to a stunning surprise 50th birthday celebration, I was overwhelmed. First, I felt unworthy to be the recipient of such a generous gift of love. Secondly, I was overcome with love for a God who would allow me to be a teacher and friend to a group of such incredible men and women. I am grateful God called me to move away from my comfort zone into a classroom where I have been challenged, loved, and encouraged. Through it all, He has held me. Thank you, my dear class, for being His arms.

4 comments:
Wow! What a testament to God's faithfullness in our struggle to move. Thank you for listening to his call to be part of our lives too. And...what a great party!
When Sean showed me the pictures of your surprised face, I could just hear your southern voice, saying with astonishment, "Y'all!"
Katie
I just want to say think you to the Starting Point class for the "prayer gram" that I got in the mail yesterday. It touched my heart. Thank you for praying for me as I navigate through the sudden loss of hearing in my left ear. You are special group of young people and God has used you to encourage me. It's exciting to watch your class grow and connect.
Leigh Ehrhardt
(Katie Curry's Mom)
We love you, Cindy! Thank you for sharing your heart with us...it blesses each one of us tremendously!
Post a Comment