Monday, December 29, 2008

Couple Feature: Eric and Kim Moore



Required Questions

Tell us something most people don’t know about you and your spouse.

Eric loves to learn new things in order to build relationships. He has a huge heart and a deep compassion for people. He has learned Spanish over the years through playing soccer and working in restaurants and construction so that he could connect with his teammates and workers. He has a deep desire for people to not only to know the Lord, but also to deepen their roots with Him.

Kim loves to travel. God has blessed her with the opportunity to visit many states and countries overseas on mission trips or on family vacations. Highlights include Israel, France, Kenya, Greece, Switzerland, Germany, The Cayman Islands, Italy, Austria and England. She can’t wait to travel as a family one day. 


What are your goals for the future, both as a couple and individually?

As a couple: To grow in our relationship with the Lord, to teach our children about Jesus and we want to see them love Jesus more than anything else. We hope to seize each day as an opportunity to glorify the Lord and minister to those around us. 

Eric: I desire to cherish my wife and daughter each day. In my career, I desire to continue to pursue excellence and continue to develop my integrity and decision making skills. Someday, if the opportunity presents itself, I would like to run my own company. I also aim to continue in my creative endeavors, and develop a website to help grow my hobby into an international (or at least regional) enterprise. I also seek to continue to find a balance between my home, work, and my church life in order to maximize my effectiveness for the Kingdom.

Kim: I want to be a blessing to my family and those around me. I want to become a better wife and mother each day. I want our kids to see Christ in us. I desire to laugh more, to not take things so seriously, and to become better at organizing our home. 


Tell us about your first date.

K: I knew Eric from a few years earlier because his brother married my sister. I was living in Dallas at the time and drove down to visit Eric for the weekend. Eric brought me flowers. We went to The Cheesecake Factory in The Woodlands and afterwards we talked for hours at Starbucks. I knew at that time there was something wonderful about this guy!


What is the best gift you have ever given to your spouse? What is the best gift you’ve ever received from your spouse?

The best gift that Kim has received from Eric is our home. As Eric would say, a house is just “bricks and sticks,” but the experiences we have shared in it have truly turned it into a home. Our family thought that we were taking on too much as newlyweds, but we were at such peace about it, and even though Eric left our apartment at 4:00 AM and returned at 12:00 PM for three months, he was able to manage the construction process in the early mornings and evenings while working full time in downtown Houston, and was able to give us such a nice place to live.

The best gift that Eric has received from Kim is the gift of encouragement. Although she is an excellent gift giver, and has given a lot of nice things to Eric over the years, she was instrumental in encouraging Eric to get involved in a Church home, and get back on track with the Lord after spending a few years away from a daily relationship with Christ. 

Eric said that his second favorite gift was the ping pong table. 


What is your favorite Bible verse? Why?

E: Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

God has given me many good days, and such immeasurable blessings. But most of all, God has given me so much grace as He has continues to work me towards a final product. 

K: Just one? I have so many that have meant so much to me through the years. One that is very meaningful at this time in my life is 

Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:21-23.

These verses give me hope and each day God has been very faithful to our family to provide for our needs.

Family Verse: 
As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17. 
We have benefited so much through “call to the carpet” moments in our marriage. God’s grace through each other has kept us on track in these moments. Plus, we have a secret handshake that we do after an argument.



You Choose Questions

Besides your family, pets or Bible, what one item would you want with you if stranded on a deserted island?

K: A solar powered iPod with all of our favorite songs.

E: A fully-staffed Costco/Home Depot combo store that accepts salt water as currency. I am not a huge wilderness guy, so I would quickly begin to build all of the modern comforts that I would miss from home. Plus, I think that Costco sells cruise packages…

What is your top area of expertise?

K: Besides changing diapers, I would have to say that my expertise lies within the area of swallowing disorders. This area was my primary focus with adults when I worked at the hospital prior to having Caroline. My ear seems to be keenly attuned to people who could have some aspiration issues…so much so that during the Lord’s Supper at church, I usually will hear older people cough immediately after they swallow the juice and usually it is due to aspiration.

E: My primary field of expertise is construction management. Over the last ten years, I have spent time managing residential, commercial, and industrial projects both from the job site and the office. Highlights include countless houses (including our own), an airplane hanger, a handful of 50,000-100,000 SF warehouses, and a 70-room 3-story hotel. Other areas that I am currently pursuing expertise in are Photography, Creative Projects and Graphic Design through use of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and other methods. I hope someday soon to have a full portfolio online at www.emcodesign.com. Also, as some may know, I take great pride in my expertise in Short Term Research Projects (STRP). Basically, when friends and family need to know anything that takes less than 10 minutes to find out, they come to me. I am willing to tackle anything from the full lyrics to “Hush Little Baby”, the lifetime record between Texas A&M and Texas Tech (Aggies still lead 34-32-1), or the name of the actor responsible for bringing us the 1987 Satirical Training Video “Dorf on Golf” (that would be Tim Conway). In recent years, Wikipedia and other websites have aided in this process tremendously.

What was your favorite toy as a child?

K: Barbies were my one of my favorites as a little girl. I remember having oodles and oodles of them with clothes and accessories galore. Of course we had the Barbie mansion along with the Barbie cars, and the Barbie boat. Good times.

E: By far, my favorite toy as a child was my large collection of Lego’s. I would occupy entire afternoons building my own little world.

What is your top restaurant recommendation in Houston?

K: I have to pick just one? Chuy’s, Taste of Texas, and Lupe Tortilla are some of my favorites!

E: Taste of Texas, but go early, there’s always a wait. Side note, if there is ever a MUNCH in the greater Tomball area, I would strongly recommend that we go to Mel’s Country Café.

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?

K: My junior year in high school, my church went on a mission trip to Kenya and we ate at a restaurant named, The Carnivore. They served all sorts of interesting meats like Crocodile, Ostrich, Antelope, and Zebra to name a few. They served the meats on big skewers and we had the chance to taste all of them.

E: At my first job out of college, I frequented a Korean restaurant about twice a year with my frame carpenter. (Shot out to Jun Kwon if you’re reading the SP Blog.) The menus were in Korean, and Kwon would order for everyone. Of all of the interesting items that I tried, the Seafood Pancake would probably be the weirdest. It was basically a random assortment of tentacles and other sea fare in a corn meal pancake.


Questions from the Class

What is the best date or trip you have been on as a couple? (Submitted by Mike and Suzi)

E: I was invited to go with my brother and his wife to San Diego in January of 2004. After I booked a flight and requested vacation, well basically the week before the trip, my brother let me know that his in-laws from Dallas as well as his sister-in-law, Kim, would also be joining us. So, needless to say, it was kind of a “set-up”, but that was the week that Kim and I really started the best trip of all. I still remember how long we talked, how we held hands on the back row of the rental mini-van like a couple of junior high kids, and how much fun we had together at the Zoo, Coronado Island, and our walks on the beach. Oh, and I also got a glimpse into what could be my future in-laws. I had the not so great opportunity to see Kim’s dad in his Whitie-Tighties. Yikes.


If your lives were to be the subject of a Hollywood blockbuster, write the blurb for the dramatic voice-over guy that would play during the trailer. (submitted by Sean)

EK:(Read by the famous Game Show Host Skip Skipperson): From the people who brought you WHATS THAT SMELL? comes this year’s blockbuster event. On an ordinary Sunday morning, on a road travelled many times, an eerie silence takes over the 4-Runner. In an instant, the laughter of Caroline change to grunts, then the grunts change to a sigh of satisfaction. Kim and Eric both know that it’s too late. As they secure a parking space at CFBC, they both know that the perfect red and green Christmas outfit is now accompanied with a yellowish brown spot. Mom brought an extra outfit just in case, dad pulls the “class coordinator” card and leaves in haste. BLOW-OUT. Coming to a theater (and car seat) near you.

What was the funniest thing you have ever done together? Perhaps something you have held back in sharing with us? (submitted by Charles and Stacy) 

K: Did you know that we are up and coming rap stars? One time when sent inside the HEB to get a Birthday card for his sister, Eric came back with one that sings a song (actually a rap) when you open it. It has toddlers with gold chains and other “bling” in front of a mansion and swimming pool. So, we put the rap to memory, and recited it at least a dozen times together, in the week leading up to the birthday party. When Eric’s sister opened it, we were ready to go… (sing along if you know it):

Break out the formula, stack up the diapers
There’s a party going on, and were all a little hyper
Got a pimped out ride, don’t need no stroller,
And if today’s your birthday, YOU’RE ANOTHER YEAR OLDER
Everybody WHAT, Everybody in the Crib
Everybody WHAT, Everybody wearing Bibs
Everybody in the crib for your Birthday! Everybody in the crib for your Birthday!

What is one place you would like to go as a couple if you could choose only one trip? (submitted by Margaret) 

E: Kim and her parents have been able to go to Israel quite a few times, and I have loved hearing their accounts of the places they’ve been and history of the area. I would love to go spend time with her in the Holy Land, and see first hand what Kim and her family describe as a truly “life changing” experience.


3 comments:

Jaime said...

What a great post, Kim and Eric!!

1. Eric, James 1:2-4 is my favorite verse too!!
2. Kim, I totally think "that (old) person needs to have a swallow study done" whenever I hear them with a "juicy" cough after they eat or drink. I cracked up laughing at your answer!!

Lindsay said...

I love y'all even more after reading this! Y'all are the best.

Katie said...

I am totally going to learn that rap. It is awesome!