Monday, March 26, 2007

JESUS


And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved. Acts. 4:12

In our Sunday evening study of The Ever Loving Truth by Voddie Baucham, we are being challenged to consider the Truth of God: how willing we are to live it and how determined we are to defend it. We have asked ourselves some hard questions, and I believe we are being stirred to make some hard but life-changing commitments.

So, this past Sunday we pondered how the name of Jesus has become so offensive in our culture today. As Voddie pointed out, the names of Hitler and Stalin can be voiced freely in any venue (and protected by our Freedom of Speech agenda), yet the name of Jesus dare not be uttered in classrooms, courtrooms, or public settings without the threat of social, economic or even legal repurcussions. Oh, my. Why would a simple name be so offensive? Because there is POWER in the name of Jesus Christ. Saving power. Power to convict, ressurect, and redeem a life.

We can be tempted to back down. I am ashamed of the times I have done so. Some time ago I was reading my Bible at my hair salon. My hairdresser asked what I was reading. I had already eyed her statue of Buddha, laden with fruit and other offerings she had apparently given to her false god. I explained that I was reading my Bible. "You believe in God?" she asked, "Yes, I do," I replied. And I let it go. I LET IT GO. An opportunity to speak the name of Jesus and reveal the One who has the power to save had literally been poured in my lap, and I had been more concerned about offending my hairdresser than speaking Life to her. I knew the name of Jesus would either cause offense or bring life. There is power in the Name of Jesus Christ.

I want to be like Peter and John, whose lives had been so radically transformed by Christ Jesus that they said under the threat of great persecution, "We are unable to stop speaking about what we have seen and heard." Jesus Christ saved me. He literally lifted my life from a pit and set my feet on solid Rock. I MUST tell others about Him. I must proclaim the Name of Christ, for there truly is no other Name by which men can be saved.

Let's not back down.

No comments: