Sunday, September 20, 2009

Couple Feature: Kyle and Lindsay Silvio


Required Questions

Tell us about your first date.

We went to a Shane Bernard & Shane Everett concert at a local church in Baton Rouge. I (Lindsay) was nervous Kyle was going to try to kiss me, so I made my brother, Mitchell, come along. Ha! Kyle picked me (or should I say “us”) up at my parents’ house in his big red truck that he had at the time. It was a fun date, and the concert was great. Mitchell did a good job protecting me. ;) My mom later told me she was very impressed with Kyle and knew he was something special right away.

Tell us something most people don’t know about you and your spouse.

I’m sure the fact that we don’t have much common sense wouldn’t surprise many people, so I’ll skip those stories…Maybe the fact that we crave intellectual stimulation would come as a shock to most people. We actually enjoy touring museums and are “those people” who read every word displayed as we move through...well, except for the time we took Jackson through the Body Worlds museum at the age of 9 months and he politely “asked” that we move through quicker. Who brings an infant to a museum? We do! Ha!

What are your goals for the future, both as a couple and individually?

Couple: We hope to continue to grow closer to God and each other. We would like to have more children and raise a family that points others to Jesus in everything that we do. We would like to use our time, talents, and resources to be a blessing in this community.

Kyle: My number one individual goal is to be a “true disciple” of Christ. I have had an amazing opportunity to work through a Bible study with a great group of guys from Starting Point that focuses on this very topic. I have lost sight of this goal in the past, so I’m really striving to make an effort to put more of a focus on this going forward. Professionally, I just want to continue to learn something new everyday, progress in my career development, and do my little part in helping to make ExxonMobil a great company for everyone else I hang out with for 40+ hours per week.

Lindsay: I am always praying to be better in all areas of my life! One thing I pray every single day is that I will show Jackson how much I love Jesus, Kyle, and every one around me. I know that I have and will continue to mess up, and my prayer is that through the ups and downs of life I will be able to be an encouragement to my family and show them through my actions that there is always Hope in Jesus and a Love that never fails. As far as personal goals go, I enjoy staying at home with Jackson and want to get better and better at this whole domestic thing…not necessarily my strong suit but I wouldn’t trade this time at home with him for the world. My plan (now) is to go back to work as a full-time Teacher of the Visually Impaired (love my job!) when my kids are in school, but we will see what the future holds! One thing I’ve learned since becoming a parent is never to say what you will and will not do. Can’t tell you how many words I’ve eaten!


What is the best gift you have ever given to your spouse? What is the best gift you’ve ever received from your spouse?

Kyle: The best gift Lindsay has ever given me…hmmm…probably the picture of Tiger Stadium that I have up in our office. She got it for me a few years ago for Christmas and I absolutely love it. Besides being a great picture, it reminds me of so many great days spent on LSU’s campus before we began dating, during our dating/engagement, and now that we have been married for 6 years. A few of the fans depicted in the picture are holding their kids on their shoulders as they watch the band march down “The Hill” before the game, which is an experience we cannot wait to have with Jackson.

The best gift I think I have ever given Lindsay would probably have to be a mixed tape (actually a CD) about a month after we started dating. I had found this song by a guy I had never heard at the time (Keith Urban) and remember driving down Sherwood Forest Blvd. and playing it for her for the first time. It was definitely one of “those moments” in your relationship where time kind of stands still.

Lindsay: We have never been big on gifts. Our first Christmas together we spent a ridiculous amount on each other and vowed never to do it again. It’s funny, though, because every year we say we are not exchanging Christmas or birthday gifts. Inevitably, when the day comes, we wish we had gotten the other something! Ha! I would have to say the best gift Kyle gave me was an ornament from Things Remembered that he gave me our first Christmas together. It has our names and the date and says “Our First Christmas” on it. It is always the last ornament we put on our tree, and it goes at the very top. Every year it reminds me of that first Christmas in 2001. We had only been dating 3 months, but we knew it was the first of MANY Christmases to come! The best gift I gave him was probably the LSU painting I bought him a few years ago. It is called “Down the Hill” and is a gorgeous painting of the Golden Band from Tigerland marching down the hill on game day and all the fans surrounding them with the stadium in the background. It’s a beautiful sight we’ve seen many times together. But he would probably say Jackson. Who knows? Jackson? LSU football? It’s hard to tell which would be his favorite. ;)

What is your favorite Bible verse? Why?

Kyle: My favorite verse is 1 Corinthians 10:13. “No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.” What a tremendous verse of encouragement for all of us! This has always helped me to know that God does not expect us to live in a sinful world without His loving support. I’ve certainly screwed up many, many times but I can always return to this verse as a word of encouragement.

Lindsay: My favorite Bible verse (if I can only name one!) is Colossians 3:17. It says, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” This verse is a constant encouragement to me to live out my Faith. Of course I fail miserably at it all the time, but it is my ultimate goal…to allow others to see Jesus through me.


You Choose Questions

Besides your family, pets or Bible, what one item would you want with you if stranded on a deserted island?

Kyle: Hmmm…great question…I think I would definitely have to say one of those rubber balls (the heavier one about the size of a basketball) that you can buy at any store for like $1.99. It may seem strange but you can play soooo many games with that type of ball. Here are the games that I could entertain myself with: soccer, kickball, basketball (would make a basket out of materials on the island), dodgeball (would play with the animals if I’m there by myself or with the imaginary people that might also be around…i.e. Lost), football, etc. Those of you shaking your head like it couldn’t be that fun forever, trust me, I grew up with a lifetime supply of these things and never ran out of games to play outside.

Lindsay: Ummmm...an instant coffee maker full of Community Coffee that never runs out, please! If you know me, you know I can’t LIVE without my coffee! Speaking of, it’s time to go pour another cup…

If you were written about in the newspaper, on the front page, what would the headline say?

Kyle: “City Boy (with an accent) Calls for Help…AGAIN!”

Those that have been around me probably know that I do not have an ounce of “Tim the Toolman Taylor” in me at all. I am one of the worst at fixing things, putting things together, etc. It just wasn’t something that I grew up doing because my dad and brother were there to do it for me. I have gotten a little better since we’ve been married but you won’t see me hanging out at Home Depot anytime soon.

Lindsay: “Frazzled Mom Loses Her Keys…AGAIN!”

This problem could definitely be big enough to make headlines. I think all the time about how people who are organized and responsible must live such peaceful lives. Not me…nope. I like to keep things interesting! What fun would it be to not have to run around the house in a panic every time I need to leave? Keep my keys in a place where I can remember where they are? No thanks, I enjoy stress!


What was your favorite toy as a child?

Kyle: Outside of the typical Nintendo, SNES, Sega, etc., I loved this G.I. Joe toy that was a huge “base” for the Joes. I cannot remember the full name of it, but I do vividly remember creating more than a few full-length movies in my bedroom. Of course I was director, producer, stunt man, and puppeteer for all of my figurines…good times for sure.

Lindsay: Um, Kyle that’s weird. Anyway, I am the oldest of four and had the all important job of keeping everyone else in line. I wasn’t much of on playing with toys. I know that sounds weird, but I always wanted to be hanging out with the adults and listening to their conversations. Ha! But, boy did I teach my stuffed animals. I would line them all up…and I mean ALL of them and teach my very own little class. If stuffed animals count, my “Teddy” was my favorite. He was always with me. My dad taught me how to tie my shoe using Teddy’s bow tie. J

What is your top restaurant recommendation in Houston?

Kyle: Budget Friendly – Double Daves, Medium Cost – Carrabba’s, Special Occasion – Perry’s or Vic and Anthony’s

Lindsay – I don’t get excited about much besides Mexican. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good steak every now and then, but what I really want is chips, salsa, and fajitas. So, my Houston faves would be Berryhill’s (fish tacos) and CafĂ© Adobe on Westheimer (that’s an important detail.) The Avocado Adobe will change your life.

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?

Kyle: Those that know me well know that I am very reluctant to try new things very often, so I can’t say that I have tried many “weird” things. I did try some escargot in middle school (disgusting). I would say the weirdest thing I ate this week was a can of Chef Boyardee’s ABCs and 123s.

Lindsay: I would have to say pig feet. UM…YES. I’ll go with pig feet. I worked in the residential program at the Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired during college, and one night one of the other dorm parents was just having dinner that included this little “delicacy.” Of course I was horrified, so they were adamant about me trying them. They said they would taste like chicken. They lied. All I know is, as I was putting the little thing in my mouth, I looked down and saw hair on it….BLAHHHHH….I’ll never be the same.


Questions From The Class

What is your spouse's best trait-the one you hope Jackson inherits from him/her?

Kyle: That one is pretty easy for me to answer. I pray everyday that Jackson will inherit Lindsay’s sincere love for other people. It has always amazed me how she just loves other people without exception. She has even dedicated her career to helping children with disabilities. She has been such an amazing influence on me in getting me to begin thinking of others before myself.

Lindsay: Oh, goodness. I hope he ends up just like Kyle, but if I had to pick one trait for him to inherit it would be Kyle’s contentment. Kyle is a simple man whose happiness is not dictated by his circumstances (unless we’re discussing competitive sports.) I have rarely heard him complain, though I know he faces various struggles. I love the way he doesn’t sweat the small stuff and doesn’t take a single blessing for granted. I hope that Jackson inherits Kyle’s ability to have such a wise perspective on his circumstances no matter what they may be. I believe that surrender to God’s plan for your life is the secret to true happiness!


At what moment in your courtship did you know that you were in love?

Kyle: This is going to sound really clichĂ© but I knew I loved her the second I walked into our friends’ apartment and she turned around and smiled at me. There was just something about her smile that instantly captured my heart. After that, it was just a matter of trying to get her to feel the same way about me!

Lindsay: I knew I would love him that night in our friends’ apartment if only I would have the chance! I thought he was way out of my league for sure. I knew for sure I loved him when we spent all night talking on AOL Instant Messenger right after 9/11/01. We had only known each other a couple of weeks, but it was so clear to me that we were in love! He was exactly what I had prayed for my whole life! Still is!


5 comments:

Jaime said...

Pig feet?! Disgusting! I think I threw up a litte in my mouth when I read about the hair. Ewww, SICK!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm... was that the gray GI Joe Headquarters, the blue, gray and red Cobra Terrordrome or maybe the Tactical Battle Platform? What year was it? So many choices...

Katie said...

It won't surprise anyone to know that the previous comment was from Sean. I knew as soon as I read the post that he would want to comment on what Kyle said and would probably know exactly which toy he was talking about.

M & M said...

And I expected as much from Sean too! :)
Thanks, Silvios, for the fun reading and a few oddball stories!

Anonymous said...

I knew right away that it was Sean writing about the GI Joe too. Lindsay and Kyle, you both are so happy, kind, and loving. I enjoyed reading your answers!