Monday, March 24, 2008

Another lesson learned in Paris...




The Paris subway system has been called the best in the world. It is amazing, complex, safe, clean, and a challenge to master. Even a person with a great sense of direction would have to study the subway system map every now and then to determine which of probably 30 train lines to take to one of five city zones. So, since I have openly confessed for years to be direction-deficient, I made no attempt to even pretend to be able to maneuver my way around Paris. Instead, I yielded all subway decisions to my 18-year-old daughter, Lia.

I don’t mean we discussed the route to take and then I took her advice. No, no, no. I mean once Lia and I chose an agenda for our day, she studied the subway map for a few minutes, we left our hotel, walked down the road to a subway station, Lia took our tickets out of her pocket and handed mine to me, we entered the turnstiles, she put our tickets back in her pocket, and I followed her footsteps up and down staircases and escalators, around long, tile-covered hallways, and onto the train platform she had chosen for us. I had no idea which train we were taking and I never asked. I may as well have blindfolded myself, stretched my arms out in front of me, and allowed her to lead me.

Every single time, Lia was right. She got us to our destinations without fail…the Opera House…Montmartre…the Latin Quarter...Notre Dame…Disney…and then got us back home. And every single time, I grew more and more confident of her subway expertise. By the end of the week, we were laughing at the pitiful truth that she had the ability to lead me absolutely anywhere in France with the certainty that I would follow.

So, I began to ask myself, why is it so hard sometimes to place myself in the hands of the One who knows my destiny? God has proven Himself over and over to be absolutely and perfectly trustworthy, and yet I hesitate…I question...I want to know where He’s leading before I will commit to go.

For I know the plans I have for you"--this is the LORD's declaration--"plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
(Jeremiah 29:11)

As I followed my daughter around the maze of subway platforms in Paris, I never took my eyes off her. In fact, as we squeezed ourselves onto crowded trains, I often took hold of the hem of her jacket so I wouldn’t lose my connection to the only one who knew where I was supposed to be headed.
That is the secret to following Christ. It’s not about waiting for directions to the big destinations in our lives. It’s about keeping our eyes on Him every single day. Holding onto Him for dear life, knowing that the only life worth living is the one we live in step with Him.


My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me.
(John 10:27)

No comments: