“They should put more restaurants in this town.”
My daughter made the comment. We were driving down the streets of our hometown. I started to nod my head in agreement when suddenly it occurred to me…
Who is THEY?
I knew my daughter wasn’t referring to the city’s mayor or the CEO of every major grocery store chain in the country. Instead, she had done what we are all guilty of...she had aimed her complaint at a THEY that was both invisible and powerless.
“Why don’t YOU open a restaurant?” I suggested.
She laughed. “I can’t do that. I don’t have the money and I can’t cook anyway.”
Exactly.
It’s easy to place the responsibility on THEY to do what we want done when we can’t or won’t do it ourselves.
It’s easy to say “THEY” instead of “I” or “ME.” THEY should make church more friendly. THEY aren’t welcoming enough. THEY need to provide more ways to get involved.
A wise person once told me, “If God brings to your mind something that needs changing, He has most likely pointed to you as the one to do it.”
What about Sunday School do you wish were different?
Change your THEY to I.
Let’s get busy.
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What thought provoking words that you gave to me this morning. I appreciate the ways you encourage me to step out of my comfort zone for the cause of Christ.
Post a Comment